Our Ohana (Family)
Our parish is a muti-cultural community brought together by our common faith in Jesus Christ. Our Mission is to evangelize, educate, and serve; and to love one another as God loves us.
Newcomers are welcome to participate in all activities and/or ministries. Pick up a
registration packet after Mass, or call the Parish Office at 266-2222. You can also print the New Parishioners Form by clicking the icon below.
Visit our Services page for more information on St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Organization, Ministries and Religious Education Classes.
We contact new parishioners, welcome them, answer their questions and meet them at Sunday Mass
Contact: Donna Willson 261-5640
Hospitality Committee/ Ohana Sunday
We encourage fellowship and a welcoming spirit within our church community. We serve refreshments after Sunday Masses on the fourth Sunday of each month.
Contact: Pat Tom 261-8104
A heavy rain squall had moved along Kailua Bay obscuring the Sunday sunrise on January 22, 1933, leaving in its wake a light drizzle later that morning as a mall crowd gathered for the dedication of a little, wood framed church along the beach road between present day Makawao and Makua streets.
The ceremonies began with a solemn blessing conducted by the Hawaii Mission Roman Catholic Bishop, island raised Stephen P. Alencastre. The dampness gave a Hawaiian touch to the exterior rites. A High Mass followed inside the structure that had just been completed by the labor of volunteer faithful.
The bishop’s entourage included choir members from the Cathedral in Honolulu, Marianist Brothers from Kaimuki, who led the Latin chanting; and Maryknoll Sisters from Kaneohe. Four priests were in attendance: Fathers Bruno Bens, Charles Windels, Joseph Verscheuren and Patrick Logan, the pastor-to-be. Guests included the consuls of France and Belgium. All told, visitors nearly outnumbered the pioneer parishioners on hand.
These included members of the Campos family who had donated the parish site and largely underwritten the lumber costs, and the Gomes family, who previously had hosted Sacred Hearts priests from St. Ann’s Church in Heeia at their Oneawa Street house for the celebration of Mass for Catholics in the vicinity. Another large family present was Henry Tong and Lucy Scott Wong. They had eight children and Mrs. Wong’s ancestors had been among the earliest Catholic converts on the Windward Coast. Their son, Henry Ho Wong, became a prominent church benefactor. Other early members were the Arruda, Baptiste, Clark, Marciel, McPalmer, Pao and Trask families.
At the conclusion of the Mass, a church bell in the diminutive steeple was rung for the first time in its new home. Cast in Paris in 1866, it had previously served in a North Kohala church that had been dismantled. (Today this bell is still in use on the Friendship Lani.) The crowd spilled outside to relax and enjoy a large luau. St. Anthony of Padua church, Kailua’s first Catholic parish, was then open for worship.
Father Clarence Zamora
Fax: (808) 266-2229
Father Exsequel, Parochial Vicar
Fax: (808) 266-2229